What do I do after I am served with a complaint?

A frequent question which arises within civil litigation is: What do I do after I am served with a complaint?

The short answer is, do not delay. Failure to respond to a civil complaint within the time requirements of the Code of Civil Procedure is drastic; leading to your default. If your default is taken, you do not have the opportunity to defend yourself against the claims, valid or not. Accordingly, immediately research qualified civil litigation attorneys in your area and make an appointment to meet face to face with an attorney. If you chose to represent yourself, beware that you will be treated by the court as if you have the knowledge and training of an attorney. Accordingly, it is always recommended that you hire counsel immediately and assist in your defense.

Maire & Deedon is a full service civil litigation law firm. We look forward to assisting you with your legal needs. If you are served with a complaint, we would welcome the opportunity to speak with you.