What To Do if You Are Injured by a Drunk Driver in California

If you are injured by a drunk driver in California, you may be entitled to compensation. You may also have the right to file a lawsuit against the driver. The talented California car accident attorneys at Maire & Deedon describe below what to do if you are injured by a drunk driver in California:

1. Immediately Call 911 and Tell the Operator What Happened

When you experience an emergency, the most important thing is to call 911. Tell the operator the exact location of the accident and any other relevant information, such as the make and model of any vehicles involved or what injuries you or your passengers may have reported.

If you have it, and the operator asks, also try to give the drunk driver’s license number and other information about the vehicle. This information can help law enforcement investigate the accident.

If the operator does not ask, or you are unable to get that information, ask a passerby to take a photo of the license plates of the drunk driver. Drunk drivers are likely to be impaired and may not be able to fully understand that they have caused an accident. As such, they may drive away from the scene of the accident, simply disappearing or causing further injury or even death.

2. Get Medical Help if You Are Injured

If you are involved in an accident, it is important to seek medical help as soon as possible. Many accidents can lead to serious injuries, and some injuries may not be immediately visible, for example, a head injury. A head injury such as a concussion can cause long-term damage if not treated quickly, so it is important to get help if you believe that you have been injured due to a drunk driver.

If you or someone in your vehicle seems to be injured, do not try to self-diagnose or treat the injury yourself – seek medical help. You may ask for an ambulance while speaking to the 911 operator.

But if you believe that your injury is not life-threatening and you can walk, try to get to a hospital as soon as possible on your own and request a full, comprehensive checkup.

3. Contact an Attorney As Soon as Possible

If you have been in a car accident, it is imperative to contact an attorney. An attorney can help protect your rights and make sure that you receive the benefits you deserve. Attorney representation can help ensure that the other party is held accountable for their actions and that you receive fair compensation for your injuries.

Speak to a California Personal Injury Attorney

In conclusion, if you are injured by a drunk driver in California, make sure to seek medical attention as soon as possible. You may also want to file a police report and consider filing a lawsuit. If you do decide to file a lawsuit, be aware that the compensation you receive may be limited. However, with the help of an experienced Redding, California personal injury attorney at Maire & Deedon, you may be able to receive substantial damages.

If you’d like to speak with a California personal injury attorney about the specifics of your case, you may contact us by calling 530-246-6050 or by filling out this form.