Do California Commercial Trucks Need Commercial Truck Insurance?
The answer to the question above is “Yes.” By being aware of the specifics behind these insurance requirements and speaking with a California truck accident injury lawyer at Maire & Deedon, you can obtain compensation for an injury you received at the hands of a commercial truck.
California Commercial Trucks Need Commercial Truck Insurance
Every commercial truck that is driven in the state of California requires commercial truck insurance. However, the requirements for this commercial truck insurance are dependent on these two factors:
- The weight of the commercial truck.
- The items that are being carried.
Just as an example, a commercial truck that transports oil will have different insurance requirements than a commercial truck that transports household items.
Given the facts outlined above, the exact insurance requirements for a commercial truck that weighs over 10,000 pounds and carries specific items are as follows:
- A commercial truck must have $300,000 of commercial truck insurance if it transports household items.
- A commercial truck must have $750,000 of commercial truck insurance if it transports general freight.
- A commercial truck must have $1,000,000 of commercial truck insurance if it transports oil.
- A commercial truck must have $5,000,000 of commercial truck insurance if it transports hazardous materials.
A failure to obtain the insurance outlined above will prevent a commercial truck from receiving its Motor Carrier Permit, thereby preventing it from driving and transporting items.
What Happens If You Are Injured By A Commercial Truck In The State Of California?
A commercial truck injury differs from other injuries within the state of California for one simple reason: many different parties are involved in a commercial truck injury.
Rather than just one party – say, a driver – being involved in a commercial injury, there are many parties involved in such an injury. Some of these parties are as follows:
- The driver of the commercial truck.
- The company that hired the driver.
- The people who loaded the truck.
- The people who packed the truck’s items.
- The people who maintain the truck.
Every single one of these parties may be found liable, depending on the circumstances of the injury. Given the complexities of such a case, though, you must speak with a lawyer if you have been injured by a commercial truck.
After speaking with a lawyer, you can work with them to build a case that includes multiple insurance claims directed toward the parties responsible for your injury.
To ensure that these claims are successful, you and your lawyer must work to prove that these parties were liable for your insurance in one manner or another.
Just as an example, if the driver was intoxicated, then they are liable. But, if the accident was also partly caused by improper loading, then the parties responsible for loading may also be liable.
Speak With A Northern California Personal Injury Lawyer Today
Commercial trucks are big machines that can create life-long injuries. If you have been injured by a commercial truck, speak with a Northern California personal injury lawyer at Maire & Deedon today, and we will assist you in obtaining the compensation you deserve.