What To Do if You Get in a Car Accident in California and the Police Don’t Show Up

If you are involved in a car accident and the police don’t show up, there are a few things you can do:

1. Call the police department and ask what happened. They may have had a higher priority call come in and couldn’t get to your accident.

2. If there are any injuries, seek medical attention immediately. Even if you think you’re okay, it’s important to get checked out by a doctor.

3. Take pictures of the accident scene, the vehicles involved, and collect any evidence you can find (e.g., broken taillight, skid marks). This will help when filing a claim with the insurance company.

4. Exchange information with the other drivers involved in the accident (name, address, phone number, insurance company, policy number).

5. Consult with a Redding car accident attorney at Maire & Deedon to discuss your options.

More details are below.

The Importance of Documenting the Incident

If you are in a car accident in California and the police do not show up, it is essential to document the accident scene yourself. This is because California is an at-fault accident state, meaning you need to prove fault to make claims. Without evidence from the scene, it can be difficult to prove who was at fault in an accident. By documenting the scene yourself, you can help ensure that you have the evidence you need to make a claim.

What About the Automobile Accident Police Report?

If you are in a car accident, and the police arrive, they will make an accident report. This report is important because it can be used as evidence in an insurance claim or lawsuit. However, in a case where the police do not show up, you will need to make and file the report as soon as possible after the accident. The written report should be filed with the California Highway Patrol and local law enforcement.

You should include information about the date, time, and location of the accident, as well as the names of any drivers and passengers involved. You should also describe how the accident happened, and list any damage to cars or injuries to people. Make sure to keep a copy of your report for your records.

Additional Rules About Reporting Traffic Accidents in California

In California, the law states that if you are involved in an accident and there is visible damage to either vehicle totaling a minimum of $1000, injury, or death, at least one driver must complete a Report of Traffic Accident Occurring in California (SR 1) form and submit it to the DMV within 10 days. This law is applicable irrespective of whether the accident occurred on public or private property.

The Importance of Seeking Legal Help

If you are in a car accident in California and the police do not show up, it is important to contact a California car accident attorney at Maire & Deedon as soon as possible. This is because you will need help with filing the accident reports, and it is important to do so correctly. If you do not file the report correctly, the insurance company may not pay your claim.